Summary: Students become intertidal organisms and role-play various tidal situations to understand how they adaptations for survival are necessary and effective.
Concepts to teach: Adaptations and Survival; Rocky Shores Habitat
Goals: Students will learn about the challenges and benefits of living in the rocky shores and the adaptations inhabitants use to survive such a dynamic environment.
- Identify with intertidal organisms and role play various adaptations for survival
- Become familiar with invertebrates of the Oregon Coast
- Introduce various tidepool creatures to peers
- Demonstrate an understanding of the pros and cons of rocky shore living
Activity Links and Resources:
- Summary of Rocky Shore Survivors
- This lesson was adapted from the Oregon Coast Aquarium’s Rocky Shores Invertebrates Kit Curriculum.
- Assessments are included in the OCEP Summary.