2014 Conference—Connecting Communities through WaterJoin us in Bandon, Oregon for the 39th annual NAME conference. July 13–17, 2014.
Membership InformationJoin NAME now for the opportunity to learn, share and network with other marine and aquatic educators
Insitutional MembershipOur Institutional Members include any not-for-profit organization with goals similar to NAME.
Check them out...
ActivitiesCheck out the new featured activities on our teacher resources page!
“On Watch” President’s ReportCheck out our new online Scuttlebutt format, beginning with the President's report by Anne Stewart
39th Annual Conference
Join us for the 39th Annual Conference
July 13th - 17th, 2014 | Bandon, Oregon
About Northwest Aquatic & Marine Educators
NAME was founded in 1976 and became a chapter of the National Marine Educators Association in 1980. In the early 1990s NAME expanded its mission and membership to include all aquatic environments, recognizing that marine and aquatic ecosystems, environments, and issues are linked together, and that educators working in both environments share common beliefs and strategies. NAME includes members from Alaska, British Columbia, Washington, and Oregon. Annual NAME conferences rotate through these states and provinces. In addition, each state or province offers local professional development opportunities for formal and non-formal educators.
NAME is a “family” of educators who believe:
- That every human on Earth needs to be water-literate.
- In sharing our knowledge, experiences, and visions about the world of water with others.
- That the sharing of that vision creates a community, and that this community supports each of us personally and professionally.
- That informed stewardship of the ocean and watersheds of our region is essential for the continued survival of all life, and the cultural and spiritual well-being of the stewards.
- In using the allure of water, both salt and fresh, to enrich and facilitate learning in all subjects and environments.
These are our Core Values, values that drive the work we do. We are also guided by a Strategic Plan, annual education and event plans for each province and state, and an innovative, energetic Board of Directors.
- Encourage professional growth by offering quality workshops, conferences, field experiences, and in-services in the Pacific Northwest
- Share information and education materials focused on marine and aquatic environments and issues
- Promote the magic of water as a catalyst for learning
NAME is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.